Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Caring is Key

I've been thinking a lot about who I am as  photographer lately and what I can possibly bring to the table that so many other talented photographers don't already.  And more and more I'm drawn back into the reality that in my heart, I truly, genuinely care about people.  I care about who people are and that they are treated with kindness and compassion. We have been pretty swamped this year with work and in dealing with many people, I have found that I'm not as readily available to do that.  Not for my clients, my friends nor my family.  I am the first to admit that I haven't been the best at taking the time to show the people in my life that they matter and that I care about them by way of my actions.  Like returning phone calls or emails promptly, posting pictures to my facebook/blog or website or taking the time I should to listen and just be with people.  Thank the Lord I have two very wonderful ladies working for me who help in that department, but they can only do so much.  The rest is up to me, after all I AM my business - my decisions, my talent, my personality, my actions.  So before I go any further, please accept my heart felt apology for not showing you that you are important, whether you are a client, friend or member of my family, because you ARE!  

And now, dear people - there is change in the air!  I have vowed to do what it takes to get back to what I love - showing people around me that I love and care about them.  From a business stand point, I am going to live by the custom, boutique-style photography that I offer, and up the anti.  I will pay more attention to detail in all aspects and show you why your investment in this studio is worth the money.  With change and a new focus, come reworking my pricing schedule and product offerings, which I know will not make all of you happy, but it's a necessary evil that I've avoided too long.  The new products and offerings excite me and I know it will be extremely good for us all, once we are through the hurdles of change.

Another thing that I've wanted to do for a long time is dedicate myself to giving back somehow. For the 6 years I've been in business, I have had my ears open to the options of charity and fundraisers and nothing has felt right.  That is, until I first heard about the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep Foundation.  It is an organization that sets up professional photographers with parents who have still born or dying babies, to gift them with photographic memories of the angels that came into their lives for such a short time.  It's an organization that tugged at my heart immediately, but I wasn't sure if it was something I could do.  And then, again and again I was presented with links to their website, or stories of photographers who volunteer, until finally I understood the push I was getting to join.  I recently applied to be one of their affiliated photographers and on Friday, found out I was accepted. I was both thrilled and terrified!  I know that I will most likely cry through every session and that it will effect me like nothing else could, but I also know that I can do this and that I must.  As a mother, I care about helping parents through such a heart breaking period in their lives, and as a photographer, I care about giving them the quality work they deserve.  

So with that, here we go!  Change is here and Caring is the key.  I'm getting back to the heart of why I started in this business and it feels sooo good!

Have an amazing day, everyone!

Until next time,

Crystal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much that will mean to those parents. When our very preterm baby died we were left with only the memories in our heads and in my body...photos are something I wish I had ever since. My cousin also went through this same experience and THANK GOD her sister was there and ran down to the gift shop to buy a disposable. Those pictures helped immensely in her healing process. That is an AMAZING way of giving back ♥